Re: Language tag for traditional Chinese

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Language tag for traditional Chinese
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 17:04:43 +0800

> Hello,
>
> Alex Vong <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Ludo', Alex,

>>> I'd definitely avoid that. For better or worse, ‘zh’ is assumed to
>>> equal ‘zh_CN’ or simplified Chinese.
>>>
>> I agree. In written Chinese, the 2 dialects of simplified and
>> traditional Chinese are quite different. Not only the characters are
>> different (of course quite a few are still shared), sometimes the
>> wording is different too due to cultural difference (similar to British
>> vs American English).
>
> Good to know, thanks for explaining.
>
>> So we should at least have 2 different locales I think.
>
> We were talking about the web site, no locales involved.  :-)
>
> Can you send me a patch against guix-artwork.git (which contains the web
> site) so I can adjust that page accordingly?

My bad, I somehow manage to miss this message for 3/4 year.

According to w3c[0], it is recommended that, "where possible, use the
codes zh-Hans and zh-Hant to refer to Simplified and Traditional
Chinese, respectively". So I decide to reconsider my earlier decision and
use zh-Hant instead. The patch is available in [1].

> Thanks in advance,
> Ludo’.

Cheers,
Alex