Re: LXDE desktop in config.scm

From: znavko
Subject: Re: LXDE desktop in config.scm
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:54:15 +0000

Thank you very much, Leo Famulari! Yes, only 2 changes in config make my system
offers LXDE on login screen.  These:
adding to (use-modules (gnu packages lxde))
and adding to (packages (cons* lxde))
But I have 4 troubles now.
First is that I have all DEs installed now, but I want only Xfce and LXDE.
I have 5 elements on login screen now:
- Xfce, as it was
- KDE,
- LXDE, as I wanted to add
- Gnome
- Openbox
Sorry, why? I do not need KDE, Gnome. I thought this config only adds LXDE.
Please, what is wrong in my config? I only added lxde, gedit, icecat to
(packages) list and (gnu packages lxde), (gnu packages gnuzilla) to
(use-modules) list.

# cat /etc/config.scm
;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu)
             (gnu system nss)
             (gnu packages lxde)
             (gnu packages gnuzilla)
)
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (host-name "antelope")
  (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  ;(mapped-devices
  ; (list (mapped-device
  ;        (source (uuid "12345678-1234-1234-1234-hash888abc"))
  ;        (target "my-root")
  ;        (type luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        )
                      %base-file-systems))

  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "bob")
                (comment "bob is good too")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/bob"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   gedit
                   icecat
                   lxde
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

The second problem is that in LXDE I cannot switch keyboard to another
language. I added applet 'Keyboard handler', configured it not to use system
configurations, added russian (and turkish to try), checked Left-Win and also
Alt-Shift for switch, but no keyboard keys, no mouse clicks to flag nothing
giving effect. I have only US keyboard. How to figure? May be, I need to add
other packages to config.scm like lxde-common, lxpannel, lxinput?

The third problem, when I add applet Volume control it does not appears. I need
something else to add to config? In Xfce I had nice pavucontrol applet on a
panel.

Th fourth is that on Xfce and LXDE I have no menu icons in video players, also
in xfce-terminal: http://0x0.st/sxlH.png http://0x0.st/sxkQ.png  What to do?

I ask this cause last `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm` worked too long
on my Lenovo G50-30 and I need exact instructions that were never described
specially for me.