Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 13:55:16 +0200

Am 28.03.2018 um 00:05 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
> I disagree.  We achieve something indispensible.  We make it far more
> likely that the next time users purchase hardware, they will avoid
> hardware that would require their operating system to include nonfree
> software.  This creates incentives for the manufacturers to create
> freedom-respecting hardware.

I disagree. Your are assuming somebody already convinced on free
software. This might work for these.

I assume somebody who needs to be convinced that there are alternatives
to what they are used to (Windows, macos). These people will not buy a
new device for testing GNU/Linux or GuixSD, but use the one they already
own. They except GNU/Linux to work! It not, they will be scared off -
and it will be even harder to convince them for another try.

The worm must be tasty to the fish, not the fisherman.

If you want to change the world, you will fail when trying to enforce
the big bang. But you will win by making people taking small steps,
learning, becoming confident. If you want someone to become vegan, first
make her/she reducing the meat consumption, make her/him living
vegetarian, an then vegan. This takes long, but even the first step is a
change towards your aim.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel