Re: inxi and inxi-full

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: inxi and inxi-full
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 11:54:45 +0530

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why would we need to wrap the program?  With the above fix, then we are
>> all good, aren't we?
>
> If we do what you suggest, then all the "system" invocations should work
> fine, but we'll still need to wrap the script so that it finds the
> required Perl libraries.  For an example of how to do that, see the
> definition of perl-image-exiftool in (gnu packages photo).

OK.

> I'm actually a little surprised that the perl-build-system doesn't take
> care of this automatically for us; we might want to fix that.  If you're
> feeling ambitious, maybe you could submit a patch to add a phase to the
> perl-build-system's %standard-phases that finds executable perl scripts
> and wraps them automatically.

Sadly, I know next to nothing about Perl.  I'd rather leave this to
someone with some Perl knowledge.

> You probably know about what inxi users expect than I do, since I've
> never used inxi, so ultimately I'll defer to your judgment here.

Yes, inxi makes it very clear that it can be composed dynamically.
This is precisely how it's used on most major distributions I think.

        https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/inxi/

Cf. the documentation and the `inxi --recommends` output.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.
-- Jean Cocteau