Re: VLC could not decode the format "ssa " (SubStation Alpha subtitles)

From: Dang Duong
Subject: Re: VLC could not decode the format "ssa " (SubStation Alpha subtitles)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:01:47 +0700

My video.scm already has libass. I tried removing and reinstalling VLC but it doesn't work.
 Am I missing something?

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 5:14 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Dang Duong <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have installed the latest version of VLC (2.2.8) on Trisquel 7.0 using
> Guix. It works normally with .srt files but cannot open .ass files. I tried
> installing libass but it still doesn't work.

It seems that our vlc package lacks libass as an input:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/video.scm#n810

Could you try adding libass in the vlc package definition, then install
it, and see if it works?

If you’re not familiar with Guix packaging, see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html>,
and do not hesitate to ask for guidance here or on #guix on IRC!

HTH,
Ludo’.