Re: is it me ?

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: is it me ?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 09:06:15 -0400

On 05/14/2017 at 09:16 Catonano writes:

>  On 05/09/2017 at 18:44 Catonano writes:
>
>  > 2017-05-07 14:12 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <address@hidden>:
>  >
>  > On 05/06/2017 at 09:33 Catonano writes:
>  >
>  > > 2017-05-06 4:07 GMT+02:00 myglc2 <address@hidden>:
>  > >
>  > > On 05/05/2017 at 18:01 Catonano writes:
[...]
>  > > I'm not sure I understand, here.
>  >
>  > I mean that I am running guix from a git checkout. There are a few
>  > different approaches to doing this. I can outline the approach that I
>  > use when you want it.
>  >
>  > Yes, I' d like you to outline the approaches you are referring
>  > to. Thanks
>
>  Hi, I just posted (and ccd you) my setup on another thread. Please let
>  me know if you have questions.
>
> Thank youu verrry much !
>
>  > What I mean is that if I invoke the Emacs Guix commands, they will
>  > show the host guix installation
>
>  I run on a headless server, so I don't have personal experience with a
>  desktop installation, but I don't believe the limitation you describe
>  actually exists.
>
>  Please try the setup that I posted. I think you will find that it allows
>  you to do this.
>
> George, thank you so much for this suggestion, I hadn't considered this would
> have been possible.
>
> Does the manual mention this anywhere ?
>
> Otherwise the hypotetical footage would suggest this out of the blue and that
> could be disorienting to someone who is learning.
>
> But it's a very nifty trick !
> Thanks !

YW. I believe that the manual documents all the config bits used. I
arrived at it after reading IRC #guix over the last 12 months where it
was described in bits and pieces by others. Quite a while ago I
suggested adding a "how to" along these lines to the guix and emacs-guix
manuals. The response from the developers was lukewarm: 1) adding such a
section to a manual increases the difficulty of maintaining the manual,
and 2) config is a matter of user choice. It could be put in a wiki, but
I hate software wikis because they are usually out of date and therefore
most often wrong. ISTM it might be put into a "guix-ide" package and/or
user service & this would be the best way to make it available to users.