Re: Backing up a GuixSD system? rsnapshot doesn't seem to like the store

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Backing up a GuixSD system? rsnapshot doesn't seem to like the store.
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 16:27:14 -0800

<address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>      My normal backup software (rsnapshot) doesn't seem to play
> terribly well with GuixSD because the software uses hardlinks for it's
> deduplication, so I'm looking for alternatives (or someone to tell me
> what needs to happen to get rsnapshot to backup /gnu/store without
> issue).
>
> I'd prefer something that has data deduplication at the very least.

Ah, backups!  Always a fun topic, and always ripe for bike shedding...
May I ask: why do you need to back up the store items?  Depending on
your use case, maybe it isn't actually necessary.

For example, if you're just trying to back up personal, mutable state on
your personal desktop for disaster recovery (that's my back-up use case:
dot files, personal notes and documents, pictures, music, etc., all in
my home directory), then there is little point in backing up store
items.  Backing up the operating system configuration file and a
manifest of packages installed to my user profile is good enough for me.
I can rebuild the system itself from the operating system configuration
file, and I can just re-install the packages I had in my profile from
the manifest, so it works great for me.  I've recovered my system (i.e.,
totally re-installed GuixSD) a dozen times using this method, without
too much hassle.  It's not 100% reproducible, since if I install a tool
today, don't update it for a month, and then recover my entire system
from a backup, I might wind up installing a more recent version of the
tool than I was using previously, but it's good enough for my use case.
The data I really care about is all that mutable state in my home
directory, which guix doesn't manage, so I don't really care much about
what's in the store as long as I have the operating system configuration
file and a manifest of packages I've installed to my profile.

On the other hand, if you want a snapshot of the entire system, and you
want to be able to recover it exactly as it looked in the past, that's
another thing, and I'd have to do some research to find a good solution
for that more stringent use case.

--
Chris