Re: Documentation

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 12:08:34 -0400

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> when & how is the documentation here :
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html
> updated ?

I'm not sure, but I think it's updated whenever we make a new release.

> Then I searched how to build the doc, and found in README:
>
> See the manual for the installation instructions, either by running
>
>   info -f doc/guix.info "(guix) Installation"
>
> but...
>
> info: doc/guix.info: No such file or directory

On GuixSD, `info guix` should work. On other systems...

> So how do I make that doc so that I can read the "installation
> instructions" which will tell me how to make the doc...

... from a checkout of our Git repo, you can do:

`guix environment guix -- make doc/guix.info`

Similarly, you can do `make doc/guix.html`.

If the Git checkout is new, you will need to run the ./configure script
first. And if so, you almost always want to do it like this:

`./configure --localstatedir=/var`.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html#Building-from-Git