Re: 'guix system vm' questions

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: 'guix system vm' questions
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:20:34 -0400

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 2:57 AM, myglc2 <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have a headless server running Guix/Debian 8.3 on which I would like
>> to run some guix vms. So far, I have a script (see mkvm.sh, attached)
>> that runs a single vm. It has some issues:

[...]

> What is the QEMU console?

I meant the display window.

> If you mean user passwords, it is possible
> to specify the hashed password in a user account in your OS config
> file, IIRC.

Thanks, saw that. Being a qemu noobe and a bit lazy, I was hoping there
might be an example ;-)

>> 3) on the vm, 'guix package -i' throws an error, e.g.,
>>
>>    (on the console)
>>    v1 login: u1
>>    password: <password>
>>    $ guix package -i
>>    accepted connection from pid 390, user u1
>>    guix package: error: build failed: changing ownership of '/path/store':
>> Read-only file system
>
> The VMs created with 'guix system vm' are immutable.
[...]

OH, so guix VM users should not expect to install packages.  This was
non-obvious, at least to me. Maybe the doc should say this.

>> 4) I can't log in to the vm like I expected, e.g. 'ssh address@hidden'
>> times out
>
> Sounds like you have a QEMU networking issue to figure out.  Doesn't
> seem related to Guix at all.

OK, just wanted to make sure is isn't a know issue.

[...]

> HTH,
>
> - Dave

It did. Many thanks. - George