Re: [Help-gsl] peakfind using GSL

From: Brian Hawkins
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] peakfind using GSL
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:10:46 -0700

Hi Wally,

This paper by Donoho is publicly available from Biometrika and has the
example I was talking about:

http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/content/81/3/425.abstract

The algorithm I tried is the one he calls VisuShrink.  It's described more
rigorously in a paper in Information Theory (IEEE):

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?navigation=no&arnumber=382009

but you need a subscription to access the full text.  I find these papers
somewhat hard to follow (not my field) but the algorithm is pretty simple:
wavelet transform, reduce the magnitude of the coefficients by a magic
number related to the noise level, and inverse transform.

Regards,
Brian