Re: [Help-gsl] Re: iteratively re-weighted least squares

From: David Komanek
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: iteratively re-weighted least squares
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 02:20:05 +0100

Hi Brian,

I use the weights both in r[i] and Jacobians. What I realized after
hours of playing with my code is that the coefficient values are quite
different than the known solution from a different software (on the same
input data). So, there is probably some other problem in my code and
re-weighting only makes it more important and visible. Now I have a
different set of input data for which re-weighting does not trigger the
solver error. In this case, re-weighting makes final values of
coefficients slightly different with a better R-squared value than with
fixed weights. But still it is far away from coefficients computed by
another software.

I really tried find the problem in my code, but with no success yet. The
only thing, which I think is really different than in the example in the
gsl documentation (with static weights, of course), it seems to be the
"data" structure, which is used as a second parameter of func_f and
func_df functions. I hope thiese structure data are used only in the
code of these functions and not by any other internal solver procedure,
so this structure can have all the members I need (not only n, y and
sigma) in any order. Is it right ? If yes, then I really do not know
what could be wrong, but it would mean the problem is somewhere in my
head :-)

Thanks again. Sincerely,

  David