Re: [Help-gsl] Continuous Time Solver

From: Sumit Adhikari
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Continuous Time Solver
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:16:44 -0800

Hello Brian,
   Thanks for the information. I am a VLSI designer and my interest is to
model electronic system and my focus is continuous time
   and discrete time signal path. I am using GSL with extremely high
reliability over years. I find extremely good quality random
   numbers here. Other than that I am user of GSL while I analyze signal
quality. I am a supporter of C/C++ Based system modeling
   and I had already reduced usage of Matlab in my design. In fact
now-a-days I use matlab as a plotter. All possible because of
   SystemC and GSL. While I design algorithm, my main usage of systemc is
it's data type access and GSL for analysis.
   In case I need to see the behavior of CT domain I need to re write them
using the SystemC-AMS. This is a cumbersome work
   at an early stage which I think can be avoided. I see this can be avoided
and can be implemented in untimed model if by
   some means I can have state space analysis and modeling capabilities ( I
can define continuous time response with it).
   State Space representation is indirect way of using ODE solver. My
question is that, do you have any plan to incorporate
   SS analysis capabilities in near future. If so, people like me will be
very glad and obliged. The simple reason I want it from GSL
   guys because of the reliability on which I have trust and I want a single
library which can address most of my requirenents.
Feel free to mail me.
Earnestly Awaiting your Response,
Regards,
Sumit

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:

> At Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:51:51 +0530,
> Sumit Adhikari wrote:
> >   I want to know what if I want to use gsl blocks in a simulator I write
> and
> > distribute it commercially/non commercially. What are legal issues.
> >   What I must do and don't.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your email.  There is some information at the GSL homepage
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/
>
>     If I write an application which uses GSL, am I forced to
>    distribute that application?  No. The license gives you the option
>    to distribute your application if you want to. You do not have to
>    exercise this option in the license.
>
>    If I wanted to distribute an application which uses GSL, what
>    license would I need to use?  The GNU General Public License
>    (GPL).
>
> The bottom line for commercial users:
>
>    GSL can be used internally ("in-house") without restriction, but
>    only redistributed in other software that is under the GNU GPL.
>
> For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
> in particular
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhySomeGPLAndNotLGPL
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL