Re: [Help-gsl] GPL violation?

From: Leo Razoumov
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GPL violation?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:39:49 -0500

On 2009-12-10, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> At Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:27:16 +1300,
>

> Is this the MET Fortran package?  It sounds like it.  If so, the
>  situation is that I agree with you entirely and I got the same answer
>  from them.
>
>  I do believe that if the program is distributed (even in purely source
>  form) it should be under the GPL, a compatible license, or public
>  domain.
>

>  > On a somewhat related note, can users of the GSL choose to make
>  > their code GPLv2 if it is still compatible with the 'old' GSL
>  > versions that didn't have GPLv3?
>

> While that might be possible I don't think it would be desirable, if
>  someone wanted to use "GPLv2 only" for everything it would prevent
>  people from using their code with new versions of the GSL under GPLv3.
>  The GPLv3 is a state-of-the-art free software license and I would
>  encourage everyone to use it.
>
>  --
>  Brian Gough

IANAL, but I think there are only three legal ways to use GPL licensed code

(1) Do what ever you want but do *NOT* distribute the code at all
(2) License derivative work under GPL and distribute
(3) License your code under your favorite license, distribute (in
source form) without GPL code and let end-user to download GSL,
compile it, compile your code and link it all together. This is the
worst distribution method for the reasons that are quite obvious.

--Leo--