Re: [Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:35:52 -0500

On 19/05/2008, Rodney Sparapani <address@hidden> wrote:
>  It's hard enough debugging code without putting up with this extra
> nonsense.  Is there any good reason why they do that?

Yes. Debugging symbols take up a lot of space and very few people will
need them.

Also, source packages aren't installed to default locations in Debian.
I rather like that, because it means you don't need root privileges to
examine source packages.

If you're a non-root user, you can get the library source and compile
the debug symbols in if you really want to. I like that too.

- Jordi G. H.