[Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:57:15 -0500

Thomas Weber wrote:

Your impression is false. For octave3.0, the package itself has about 30
MB, the debugging symbols are about 120 MB. See also

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.1/chapter06/aboutdebug.html

        Thomas

Hi Thomas:

Thanks for the excellent references.  However, they seem to be concerned
with space. The disk space of binaries is not of much concern with 100s to 1000s of GBs being common today. However, I suppose you are more concerned with RAM than disk space, correct? If so, I'm guessing Debian has 2 directories of binaries: one for common use, and the other for debugging. Hopefully, there is a default that you can set to always get both (and for Blastwave as well).

Thanks,

Rodney