Re: [Help-gsl] use of SSE in gsl

From: John Pye
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] use of SSE in gsl
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 14:42:09 +1100

Hi Rohit,

Brian Gough wrote:
> At Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:48:25 +0530,
> Rohit Garg wrote:
>
>> Has the code for gsl been written to use the SSE extensions to enhance
>> the speed? Or has it not been vectorized for portability concerns?
>>

> There's nothing specifically written to use SSE instructions. We don't
> use any assembly language -- just standard C for portability.

Further to Brian's comments, I have this from the GSL home page:

GSL requires a BLAS library for vector and matrix operations. The
default CBLAS library supplied with GSL can be replaced by the tuned
ATLAS library for better performance,

Now, ATLAS *does*, and hence GSL *can*, make use of SSE/SSE2
instructions, AFAIK.

Cheers
JP