Re: [Help-gsl] Does my thesis have to be GPLed?

From: Martin Jansche
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Does my thesis have to be GPLed?
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:23:09 -0400

On 8/8/07, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just checking, for my thesis, I've been using the GSL, and I plan to
> distribute my code.
>
> Does this mean that I have to GPL my thesis?

Almost certainly not (IANAL, though).  The GSL-based code you want to
distribute should be released under the GPL.  If your thesis itself is
like any other thesis I've seen, it's not a derived work of the GSL,
nor does it get linked against libgsl, so you can distribute it under
whichever conditions you choose.

-- mj