Re: [Help-gsl] GSL_RANGE_CHECK

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GSL_RANGE_CHECK
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:51:20 +0100

At Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:52:05 +0200,
Raphael Mack wrote:
> I'm writing a wrapper for the Eiffel language for the gsl lib. Since
> Eiffel provides contracts, we can be sure that all calls to gsl have
> valid indexes and runtime checking for the range may be dropped. I tired
> to do this by compiling with -UGSL_RANGE_CHECK, but matrix access are
> checked. Looking into the source showed, that in gsl/gsl_check_range.h a
> global variable gsl_check_range is defined, which is tested on every
> vector and matrix access. This is even initialized to 1 by default.
>
> Is there a way to get high performance and compile completely without
> range checking? Or is the way to go just to set gsl_check_range to 0?

Set gsl_check_range to zero to disable range checking in the static
functions.

Note that there are inline versions of these functions and these are
controlled by the preprocessor definitions GSL_RANGE_CHECK and
HAVE_INLINE.

By default GSL builds using the inline versions internally so calls to
the static functions should be rare.

--
best regards,

Brian Gough