Re: [Help-gsl] I have got problems with library...

From: Donald Tournier
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] I have got problems with library...
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:31:55 +1000

Hi,

It sounds like the compilation works fine, so gcc obviously does find
the right (shared) libraries at compile time, but the system can't find
the required shared libraries to link with at run time. This is strange,
since it looks like you disabled shared linking when building the
library. In any case, it looks like the compiler is using dynamic rather
than static libraries. There's a couple of things you can try.

First, try to figure out how to get gcc to use the static libraries at
the linking stage (you might need to add the appropriate flag for gcc,
or supply the whole library name - libgsl.a or something like that). Try
'man gcc' - warning: it's a very long manual.

Otherwise, you can just use the shared libraries anyway. Try to locate
the libgsl.so.0 file (most likely in /usr/local/lib), and add it to the
library search path, using 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib' or
equivalent before issuing your './1.out' command . Finally, if the
libgsl.so.0 file doesn't exist, but you can find the library under the
name libgsl.so or libgsl.so.0.8 or something like this, you can create a
symlink to it with the correct name so that the system can find it.
Command for that is 'ln -s libgsl.so.0.8 libgsl.so.0' (edit as
appropriate). You'll probably need root privileges for that, and you
should issue the command from the same directory.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

Donald.