Re: [Help-gsl] Maximum size of matrices

From: Analabha Roy
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Maximum size of matrices
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:17:37 -0600

 Well. Assuming ur datatypes are "floats" then 128 bits per float (right?),
with 16000*3000 floats means abt 1 GIG of RAM
+ ull need space in RAM for temporary work areas for the diagonalization
process that's typically goes as N^2 or some such power law, so waaay too
much I think (my numerical analysis fundas are somewhat sketchy, but I think
if ur diagonalizing matrices using Householder-type Transformations+Jacobi
rotations then space requirements go as some power law of the matrix order)
But I think that most distributive teragrids can take the load (if that's
where ur doing it).

  If ur using "doubles" then out of the question in standard boxen.