Re: [Help-gsl] matrix and matrix views

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] matrix and matrix views
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:31:03 +0100

Joakim Hove writes:
 >  o Would it not be simpler to let gsl_matrix_submatrix return a
 >    pointer to a matrix struct which only had shared memory?

If I remember correctly, the problem is that this doesn't preserve
"const" property.  Originally I did use the method you suggest but it
broke down when I wanted to have constant vectors.

 >  o Can I let m_part_view go out of scope and continue to use m_part,
 >    or will m_part then loose it's size/stride information?

You must keep the view itself in scope, otherwise m_part will point to
undefined memory (it is a pointer to an element of the view struct).
>From a safety point of view, it would be sensible to always write
&view.matrix.

--
Brian Gough