help-gsasl

movemail to fetch from onion mail server, with SASL?

From: markovas
Subject: movemail to fetch from onion mail server, with SASL?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:32:08 -0000

There are email onion servers, such as:
https://github.com/DanWin/hosting
that the sole protection from exit nodes they use, is SASL.

However if you get your mail from your account at such mail servers with
Fetchmail or Getmail, and probably other fetchers, the exit nodes can see
your password in plain text.

I'm pretty positive they can't, not at this time, not any mail fetchers
that I know of can fit this bill...

With Thunderbird, SASL is used and the password is encrypted, but there
appear to be other issues with thunderbird, which is a different story.

I've been reading about Mailutils, the general info and this Movemail page:
http://mailutils.org/wiki/Fetching_Mail_with_Movemail
on which there is no mention of SASL, but I'd say Movemail should work
with Daniels hosting's mail server.

And I'm at work to try and learn from docs, and possibly from the code,
how to safely fetch my mail in the above way.

Does anybody have any experience with this not-too-easy task, and are
there any suggestions?

Namely Daniel's server, his and possibly others' based on his code, use
Cyrus SASL, while Mailutils use GNU SASL. Any incompatibilities?

Thanks in advance!

Markov