Re: Do I need to act on this warning from apt when installing grub?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Do I need to act on this warning from apt when installing grub?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:21:47 +0100

On 14/12/2022 at 12:35, Goh Lip wrote:

To set up bios-legacy boot on gpt partitioning properly, you will need a small partition labelled "bios_grub".

1) "bios_grub" is not a partition label but a dummy libparted flag which represents the "BIOS boot" partition type GUID. 2) Such partition already exists on the OP's disk, so there is no need to create it.

Personally, I would suggest that for gpt partitioning, boot in uefi. And in msdos partitioning, boot in bios-legacy (though that too can be booted in uefi boot - with unreliable performance).

Personnally I would suggest to use GPT with both boot modes. MSDOS lacks useful features present in GPT.

ps: best when issuing grub-install command, use "--target=i386-pc" in that command for boot-legacy boots and "--target=x86_64-efi" for uefi boots, especially when installing legacy in gpt or uefi in msdos

Why ? The default target depends on the current boot mode, not the partition scheme.