Grub boot menu is invisible

From: Bart Heideck
Subject: Grub boot menu is invisible
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 00:11:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hello everyone,

Recently I upgraded my quite old system to a more modern version(Intel Comet
Lake processor). Only the hard disk remained. Due to theage the HDD still has a
msdos partition table with grub-pc 2.04installed.

Afterswitching the BIOS to CSM mode (legacy BIOS) and turning off secureboot,
the system was booting up again. However, after POST, when thegrub menu should
appear, the screen turns black. A few seconds later(as set in the config files)
the default kernel boots up, showing itsboot logo.

I triedtweaking the config files by setting GRUB_TERMINAL=console
andGRUB_GFXMODE=text, but without any success.

Inanother experiment I used a live disk on USB stick, with grub 2.06.If I boot
from USB using UEFI, grub works as expected. If I boot fromUSB legacy same
thing happens as above: The grub menu remainsinvisible, after the timeout the
default boot option starts up.

To meit looks like using grub in legacy mode is to blame for thebehaviour,
however I’m at loss on how to proceed here. So I hopesomeone here on this list
has an idea how to fix this issue. Ialready searched the web and grub bug
tracker, but couldn’t findany solution.

Pleaselet me know if you need more information on the system or the configfiles.

Thankyou in advance for your support.
Bart