UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:54:07 +0100

Dear all,

(I am not subscribed to the list but have configured my MUA so
hopefully simply replying should work)

After the motherboard of my laptop has been changed, it seems it is no
longer possible to boot my OS (Linux) in UEFI mode.

I have been suggested to enable UEFI mode in the BIOS, boot on a rescue
disk and run grub-install from there to re-install grub in UEFI mode on
my dedicated partition.

Given that running grub-install had already been done with my former
motherboard, does it make sense to run it again with the new
motherboard? Does grub-install somehow interact with the motherboard to
let it know it supports UEFI mode?

Any help would be warmly appreciated because, since I am blind, I will
need to seek sighted assistance to manipulate the BIOS so I would like
to be as sure as possible that this has a chance to solve my problem
before trying to find somebody skilful enough to help me.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.