grub output with qemu

From: Stefan Kadow
Subject: grub output with qemu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 13:38:42 +0200

Hello,

I found some old posts in the net describing how to build a grub image and
start it with qemu. With just two simple steps:

grub-mkstandalone -O i386-qemu -o grub.rom "/boot/grub/grub.cfg=./grub.cfg"

qemu-system-x86-64 -M pc -m 512 -bios grub.rom

Unfortunately, I have no success with it. No matter what additional parameters
I use or what entries I make in grub.cfg, I get neither error messages nor any
screen output. I have tried curses, sdl and gtk output, the only thing I get
is the qemu message "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)".

What have I missed?
Without error messages I can not help myself.
I am on Arch Linux using an AUR package.

--
Thanks for help