Re: EFI Network drivers being disabled when booting with Grub via PXE

From: Gustavo Henrique
Subject: Re: EFI Network drivers being disabled when booting with Grub via PXE
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 08:15:35 -0300

Hi,

> What exactly "boot the UEFI Shell" means? How do you "boot" it? What
> grub command(s) do you use?

I have a .efi that is an UEFI Shell application (boot_shell.efi). I boot it
by using these two commands:

1. chainloader (hd0,msdos1)/boot_shell.efi
2. boot (hd0,msdos1)/boot_shell.efi

Em qui., 1 de jul. de 2021 às 19:13, Randy Goldenberg <
randy.goldenberg@gmail.com> escreveu:

> On Thursday July 01, 2021, Gustavo Henrique wrote:
>

> >So, the problem isn't with Grub itself. The problem happens when I boot
> via
> >PXE. The server sends the Grub .efi file that is loaded with no problems,
> >and then I boot the UEFI Shell.
>
> PXE is legacy BIOS-based network booting.
>
> Your DHCP server should be configured to send UEFI versions of
> boot-related
> files when booting UEFI, and legacy versions when booting legacy.

Sorry, if I misunderstood, but I set UEFI boot on the PXE  configuration on
BIOS setup.
Let me explain the scenario better:
My DHCP server sends a x86_64-efi grub image (generated with grub-mkimage).
Then it shows some OS boot options and another option that loads an .efi
application (chainloader + boot commands). This .efi application runs on
UEFI environment and needs to send files to a tftp server.
But, as I mentioned previously, the .efi application is loaded, but the
UEFI drivers are disabled when grub loads this application. But if I
configure the DHCP server to send my application directly, the drivers are
not disabled.

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate your help.