Re: Install Grub/Debian to USB drive; boot repeatedly; boot once to Wind

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Install Grub/Debian to USB drive; boot repeatedly; boot once to Windows; USB no longer boots
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 13:56:43 +0800

On 2020-03-18 09:06, Alan Tu wrote:
Hello, I have a weird problem. I successfully use one bootable USB to
install Debian/Grub2/EFI to a second, blank USB. After installation,
the USB boots to Debian in multiple reboot and full shutdown cycles.
Then, I boot into Windows once without the USB target inserted, shut
down, and the target USB no longer boots.
.
.
After install, I can boot and reboot from the target USB multiple
times, and I have a wonderful Linux system to work and play with.
.
.
If I remove the target USB, boot into Windows from a cold boot, then
immediately shut down, then re-insert the target USB, Linux no longer
boots. I still boot into Windows. There are no beeps with the target
USB inserted.

You need to use "--removable" in the grub-install command to set it in a
removable device. Redo the grub-install command with that "--removable".

And also to disable windows hiberfile (in windows) and fastboot (in
bios) when dual-booting with windows.