Re: A further question on my "how to move to an NVME disk" question

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: A further question on my "how to move to an NVME disk" question
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:37:10 +0000

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:43:49PM +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 21/11/2019 à 22:39, Chris Green a écrit :
> >
> > I.e. does grub insist on its configuration/files being in a directory
> > called /boot?
>
> No, but Ubuntu, like many distributions, puts kernel files and grub.cfg in
> /boot and grub-mkconfig looks for kernel files there.
>
> > Further to this I suppose I can create a small new partition on the
> > 'relatively fast' SATA SSD in which I create the /boot for the new
> > 19.10 installation on /dev/nvme0n1p2.  This wouldn't be an issue.
> >
> > So, I *think* the resulting configuration would be:-
> >
> >      /dev/sda - unused, spare spinning disk
> >
> >      /dev/sdb
> >          /dev/sdb1 - Linux partition with /boot and the rest of 19.04
> > installation
> >          /dev/sdb2 - Small partition with /boot for 19.10 whose files are
> > on /dev/nvme0n1p2
> >
> >      /dev/sdc
> >          /dev/sdc1 - /home
> >
> >      /dev/nvme0n1
> >          /dev/nvme0n1p1 - swap
> >          /dev/nvme0n1p2 - 19.10 installation (but no /boot)
> >
> > ... but I still don't quite know how to tell
> > grub-mkconfig/grub-install/update-grub
> > how to make things like this.
>
> In Ubuntu 19.10, just mount /dev/sdb2 on /boot.

I think I'll probably install 19.10 again as it has been messed about
quite a lot and I also seem to have screwed up my password on it.

So I choose "something else" in the installation disk allocation and
tell it to use /dev/sdb1 for boot, /dev/nvme0n1p1 for swap and
/dev/nvme0n1p2 for the rest.  I want to move /home onto the new SSD as
well so I won't specify a separate /home during installation, I can
copy files over from the old /home when I've got the installation
basically sorted.

Then is it best to run update-grub on the old 19.04 or the new 19.10
installation?  Or doesn't it really matter?

--
Chris Green