Re: getting grub's view of disk geometry from "grub rescue>" prompt?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: getting grub's view of disk geometry from "grub rescue>" prompt?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:43:18 +0100

Le 15/03/2019 à 01:53, Nathan Stratton Treadway a écrit :
Question in brief: how can you get Grub, from the "grub recovery>"
prompt, to display its boot-time view of disk drive geometry, etc?

You can run 'ls' to print all detected disks and partitions, then run 'ls' with each disk or partition as argument to print its size, sector size, starting position...

We figure this error is related grub being unable to access the full
32GB of the device (though the BIOS Setup does report the correct/full
size for the card on the screen showing detected IDE devices).... but I
so far I haven't been able to find any information in the Grub2 manual
or in general web searching explaining how to tell what limits grub is
actually hitting there at boot time.

As a workaround, you can try to create a small partition for /boot at the beginning of the card.