Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: David Collier
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:43:14 -0800

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:34 AM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Le 11/12/2018 à 08:03, David Collier a écrit :
> >
> > grub_cpu         i386
> > grub_platform  pc
>
> This means, as I suspected, that the active GRUB flavour is GRUB BIOS
> booted in BIOS/legacy mode, not GRUB EFI. GRUB BIOS is unable to
> chainload an EFI executable such as the EFI Windows boot manager
> bootmgfw.efi. If you want to chainload it, you must boot in EFI mode
> with a GRUB EFI instance, as you did previously when the chainloading
> worked.

I am pretty sure that I was able to boot the same linux kernel as now and
windows on the HD, when using the grub instance which was on another SSD
(which is now retired).

I guess I can try putting it all back together again to collect values of
environment variables in a working setup - will this help?

> prefix               (hd0,gpt3)/boot/grub
>
> IIUC, (hd0) is the SSD containing the GNU/Linux system root filesystem ;
> the EFI partition (hd1,gpt3) containing Windows boot manager is on
> another drive (hd1).

correct, linux root file system is on the same SSD where grub is, Windows
is on the new SSD.

> You mentionned that you could reinstall Windows. Reinstalling Windows in
> BIOS/legacy mode would allow it to be chainloaded by GRUB BIOS ; but it
> would also require to repartition Windows' boot/system drive with a
> DOS/MBR partition table instead of a GPT partition table. Windows is not
> as flexible as GRUB and GNU/Linux with partition table vs. boot mode
> combinations.

Right, I created a gpt partition on the SSD and then installed windows on
it, which carved a few small partitions out of it. But the linus root file
system is also on a disk with gpt.

> Could you provide the previous and current drive/partition layout of
> this machine ?

I will try to restore the setup and copy the layout.

> I wish I could read cmdptah - but it gets scrolled away from the screen
> and
> > I did not find a way to read it,
>
> With the following declaration, GRUB will pause after each page, a bit
> like 'more' does :
>
> set pager=1

cmdpath is set to (hd0)

thank you,