Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 17:28:03 +0200

Le 03/06/2018 a 16:51, David H. Durgee a ecrit :

    The only partitions listed as possible grub targets were the master boot record, a FreeDOS partition and two NTFS formatted Windows partitions. The JFS formatted linux and eCS partitions, including the target for the new installation, were not listed as possible grub targets.

Could the first three partitions be primary partitions and the other ones be logical partitions ? Then the Mint installer may consider that there is no point in installing GRUB in a logical partition PBR, as it cannot be booted from a standard MBR (however it can still be chainloaded from another boot loader).

You did not answer this question.

Do you mean that the Mint installer offers to install GRUB before installing the base system ? Weird.

I don't believe it actually installs grub at that point, it simply wants to know where it should put it.
I see. This is different from the Debian installer, which first installs the base system and then prompts about the boot loader.

I received a suggestion on the mint forums that pointed me to a way to install sylvia without it installing the boot loader.  Were I to do so would it work for me to then chroot /dev/sda15 and run grub-install there?  Or would things be a bit more involved than that?

If the installer does not install the boot loader, it may even not install the grub-pc package either. So you would have to install it, and that would implicilty run grub-install in the process.

If using grub-install manually and if the JFS format does not allow GRUB's core image "embedding", you will need to force the use of block lists with the --force option.

How do you intend to boot this Mint system ? If you intend to boot it from an already existing boot loader, then you don't need to install a boot loader.

One remark about your replies : they do not contain a "Reference:" header indicating that they reply to a previous post, so it breaks the thread. Also the quotation marks are not nested, making it impossible to distinguish quotation authors. The headers indicate that your user agent is Firefox. Are you using a webmail ?