grub install failing on md debian sparc64

From: Chris Ross
Subject: grub install failing on md debian sparc64
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 22:28:47 -0400

Hello.  I am trying to get a ZFS system configured with debian on sparc64.
First attempts suggested that I wouldn't be able to get grub to load directly
out of ZFS, in part because I need to use sun disk labels, and the OBP likely
can't load grub out of ZFS anyway.  So, I've built a small software RAID1 on
the first two disks, to be /boot, and plan the rest of the disks as a zraid
volume.

So, I have a md raid across two partitions on two sun-labeled disks.  Each
looks:

address@hidden:~# parted /dev/sda print
Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Flags
 1      8225kB  502MB  494MB  ext4         raid
 2      502MB   147GB  146GB  zfs

But, grub-install to /dev/sda1 (or /dev/sdb1) doesn't work.  I get the following
error about md0, despite md0 clearly working, as I have it mounted in /boot
in the chroot I'm operating in:

address@hidden:~# grub-probe -d /dev/sda1
ext2
address@hidden:~# grub-install /dev/sda1
Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.
address@hidden:~# df /boot
Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0          458396 37100    393108   9% /boot
address@hidden:~#

I'm having trouble finding pointers that aren't GPT or MBR based by web
searching.  Anyone here have familarity with any of:

* GRUB on sparc
* GRUB on ZFS
* GRUB on md RAID1

Thanks...