Re: Chainloading on a LibreBoot X200

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Chainloading on a LibreBoot X200
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 13:08:12 +0200

Disclaimer : I don't know nor use Libreboot/Coreboot.

Le 28/05/2018 à 03:09, Eduardo Ochs a écrit :

I have a LibreBoot X200 - with its Grub in flash memory updated to the
version from 20160907 - and I am not being able to make it boot a
bootable pen drive by chainloading. Let me tell the whole story.
(...)
The pen drive boots fine in my neighbor's computer, but when I try to
make the grub from flash memory boot it by doing something like this
(note: I tried several devices),

   set root=(usb0)
   chainloader +1
   boot

I get the error "unrecognised payload type"...

I guess the pendrive is set up to be booted from BIOS (or UEFI) ?
AFAIK BIOS chainloading works only if BIOS services are available.
Do Libreboot provide BIOS services and can its GRUB payload use them ?
The device names you use such (usb0) and (ahci0) indicate that GRUB uses native (or coreboot ?) drivers, not BIOS drivers which would give names such as (hd0).

and I also tried to install a more recent grub in
/dev/sda6 and chainload to it; grub is version
"2.02~beta2-9ubuntu1.14+7.0trisquel5" here, and /dev/sda6 is my root
partition nowadays (it is ext4). I tried this,
(...)
   sudo grub-install -v --force /dev/sda6

and checked the installation with bootinfoscript, who said:

   sda6: __________________________________________

     File system:       ext4
     Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99)
     Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the boot sector of
sda6
                        and looks at sector 102116496 of the same hard drive
                        for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
                        in partition 112 for .
     Operating System:  Trisquel GNU/Linux 7.0
     Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

but when I try to chainload from the grub from flash memory to
/dev/sda6 by doing something like this,

   insmod chain
   insmod ntfs
   insmod ext2
   set root=(ahci0,6)
   chainloader +1
   boot

I also get the error "unrecognised payload type", plus "you need to
load the kernel first"...

I guess this is grub-pc (for BIOS) too ?
Maybe you need to use grub-coreboot ?
How do yo boot the main OS from Libreboot/GRUB payload ?