Re: Grub Config File to long

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Grub Config File to long
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 20:15:47 +0200

Le 22/05/2018 à 17:04, Dr. Heiko Pollmeier a écrit :

Using different Ubuntu versions each update with new kernel forces
update-grub. Even when I initiate for some reason it lasts several hours
and generates .config file of over 100 (in words one hundred ) Mb size.
The utmost length in time took 52 hours!

Is this a multiboot setup with multiple GNU/Linux systems installed and using GRUB ? I have observed a similar behaviour under these conditions, although I could not really explain it. I suspect it is due to a misinterpretation of other system's grub.cfg file when generating grub.cfg.

If you have one active GRUB owned by one of the installed systems which has menu entries to boot the other systems, you can try this : on each system which does not own the active GRUB, disable os-prober (uninstall os-prober, remove/disable /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober or add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in /etc/default/grub) and run update-grub to generate a (hopefully) short grub.cfg. After you have done this on all systems which do not own the active GRUB, run update-grub on the system which owns the active GRUB.