Re: Stuck in grub rescue shell

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Stuck in grub rescue shell
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:35:29 +0200

Le 04/04/2018 à 02:06, Luciana Napolillo a écrit :
I installed ChaletOS, but when trying to boot it for the first time once
installed, I was sent to the grub rescue shell. I followed these steps that
I found googleing, to set the "prefix" and "root" variables correctly
(since they weren't):

    1. set root=(hd0,msdos2)/  *--> When issuing the command: "ls
    (hd0,msdos2)/" it shows the linux root, so I know this is the correct
    partition.*

Only if the contents of /boot/grub is included in the root filesystem.

    2. set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/i386-pc    *--> here is where I
    found all the .mod  files where at (also tried with *
*usr/lib/grub/i386-pc which also contained .mod files) *

AFAIK, the $prefix path should not include the target (i386-pc) but only /boot/grub.

    3. insmod normal  * --> This is where the problem is. I get this error:
    symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64'.*

It could mean that the modules in /boot/grub are not the same version as the booted core image. Could it be an old core image that was not replaced when you installed the new distribution ? This would also explain why $prefix and $root are wrong.

Could you please give me a hand? I cannot boot from a live CD, because grub
won't let me
Why not ? Please explain.
How did you boot the ChaletOS installer ?

and I'm certain that my BIOS boot priority is configured
correctly to boot from my USB (which I could do perfectly before all this
happened), so I need to solve it somehow from the grub rescue shell :(

If the GRUB modules of the same version as the booted core image have been deleted, you are out of luck. The GRUB rescue shell allows only to set variables and load modules.