Re: How to boot

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: Re: How to boot
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 14:16:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, ykla wrote:
> And the FreeBSD developer said to me that I should complain for you.
> Because they said Grub belongs to GNU plan not BSD project.

I'm not sure why you addressed this to me (having essentially no
background with grub or booting to begin with), but I do hope
whoever advised you did not use the word "complain" but "reach
out for advise".

>     So in this way how can I boot my FreeBSD directly ?

I assume you are aware of

  https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/disks.html#idp59452648

and the grub documentation that says

  4.2.3 FreeBSD
  -------------

  GRUB can load the kernel directly, either in ELF or a.out format.  But
  this is not recommended, since FreeBSD's bootstrap interface sometimes
  changes heavily, so GRUB can't guarantee to pass kernel parameters
  correctly.

  Thus, we'd recommend loading the very flexible loader '/boot/loader'
  instead.  See this example:

     grub> root (hd0,a)
     grub> kernel /boot/loader
     grub> boot