Re: Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2018 15:39:36 +0200

Le 01/04/2018 à 14:37, Mark Syms a écrit :
Fixed if myself.

Turns out that an earlier package run (some two weeks ago) had removed
mdadm and I hadn't spotted that. So when grub-install tried to
interrogate the raid it didn't have any user space tools to do so.

It is one of the rare causes I found when searching the web for the error message, although it sounded quite unlikely. Why the hell would such an essential component as mdadm be uninstalled ? It could have broken your system boot more surely than GRUB itself. Assembly of 1.x arrays requires mdadm.