Re: Towards a customized Grub2

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: Towards a customized Grub2
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 08:45:49 -0500

On 05/28/2017 10:17 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
Richard Owlett <address@hidden> writes:
When operating systems are added or deleted they *SHALL* appear in the
Grub menu in the *PHYSICAL* order that have on the disk.
If the partition containing an OS has an associated label, that label
*SHALL* be used in lieu of /dev/sdaN - *NO EXCEPTIONS*.

I am assuming a Grub2 executable conforming exactly to the official
documentation.

How to obtain and install?

The menu that Grub displays is controlled by the file grub2/grub.cfg
file in Grub's partition.  So as long as you ensure that that file has
the right contents, the user will see the menu that you desire.

The placement, size, and contents of the partitions of the disk are set
by other programs.

Dale

Your answer suggests I've not asked an "optimal" question.
However something in your phrasing "rang a bell". I asked a similar question 4 years ago but couldn't understand/utilize the answers I got. Those posts may not answer my current question, but should at least help me pose an "answerable" question.

Some reading to do ;}

Thank you.