Re: Kernel options not passing in EFI image?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Kernel options not passing in EFI image?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 10:40:04 +0300

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Avi Deitcher <address@hidden> wrote:
> Confirm that grub-mkrescue *does* pass the cmdline options along. Which
> almost definitely means my mkimage build is slightly (but critically)
> different than what mkrescue does.
>
> I ran mkrescue -v, the mkimage line was:
>
> grub-mkimage --directory '/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi' --prefix '()/boot/grub'
> --output 'somefile.efi' --format 'x86_64-efi' --compression 'auto' --config
> '/tmp/grub.9g6zmZ' 'part_msdos' 'fat' 'iso9660'
>
> Much simpler command line, yet it works?

mkerscue makes *full* grub available in ISO, so everything that it
needs at boot time is autoloaded from image. Image itself only needs
just enough to access ISO after initial boot.

It would be interesting to find out what is missing in your case. You
could start with booting rescue into CLI, issuing the same "linux" and
"initrd" commands and comparing the list of modules (lsmod). Use "set
pager=1" as module list is likely longer than normal screen.