Re: Booting from offset

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Booting from offset
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 06:56:35 +0300

18.05.2016 21:10, Diddier Hilarion пишет:
> Hi, the problem is the following.
> I have a hard disk with the first sector physically damaged (read or write
> is not possible so there is not partition table), I would like to know if
> it's possible to specify the root as the block device + an offset in which
> is the partition. Something like this:
>
> menuentry myos{
>     set root=(hd0)+102400
> }

No. "root" refers to device, which is "hd0" in this case. "(hd0)+102400"
is file name and cannot be used for it.

What you could try is to create loopback device, like

loopback loop0 (hd0)102400+12345678
set root=loop0

where `12345671 above is exact block count from the offset 102400. You
can then use loop0 like any other device in grub except of course it
won't be known to a program you boot with grub.

You cannot omit block count currently.