Re: usb keyboard not functional in non-uefi mode

From: Jan Gregor
Subject: Re: usb keyboard not functional in non-uefi mode
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 22:42:42 +0100

Hi Andrei,

  my grub is finally working :-)

  I contacted asus tech support. My problem was fixed by reset of cmos memory via hardware jumpers on motherboard. Although update of bios and load of defaults that I did before seems to have same effect the result was different.

Best regards,
Jan

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Jan Gregor <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Jan Gregor <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, it didn't worked in slax livecd until linux kernel was started. I also
> experienced same in debian installer until I disabled csm in bios that turns
> on uefi mode.
>
> I'm aware of legacy usb support in bios and it is enabled.

And what about other settings there? Did you try all combinations?

Yes, I hope so. There were three options for usb like ehci support and in another part of bios setup CSM options.

> The problem can be that microsoft natural keyboard is visible as two usb hid
> devices and the bios has somehow broken support for non-uefi case via bios
> services.
>
> Well, I didn't expect that native usb drivers makes booting of windows
> impossible.

Well ... driver changes hardware state without BIOS being aware of it
so we try to play safe. If it possible to allow concurrent BIOS and
GRUB access, someone with better USB knowledge please chime in.

I understand.