Re: "Early" boot splash/boot text possible?

From: gr2 . ml
Subject: Re: "Early" boot splash/boot text possible?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 14:10:34 +0100 (CET)

I'd like to display an image or at least a text line like "Please wait..."
during this period, as I've encountered users of this
system who think something is wrong and press reset or even switch it off and
on again. After the kernel has loaded, I want to see
the normal kernel messages.

Is there really no way of doing this with grub2? Not even a single line of text
until the kernel takes over?
Did you try just using echo? Something like:

menuentry "Boot linux" {
  echo "Please wait..."
  linux /path/to/vmlinuz options...
  initrd /path/to/initrd.gz