Re: grub2: savedefault fallback

From: Matwey V. Kornilov
Subject: Re: grub2: savedefault fallback
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:36:35 +0300

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Matwey V. Kornilov
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any news on 'savedefault fallback' support in grub2?
>>

> Could you elaborate or give link to previous discussion?

There is a howto for grub1 how to make the system iteratively boot
over a sequence of entries:
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/Booting-fallback-systems.html

At the same time in grub-core/lib/legacy_parse.c of grub2 we see the following:

    /* FIXME: support saving NUM and fallback.  */
    {"savedefault", "saved_entry=${chosen}; save_env saved_entry\n", NULL, 0,
     0, {}, 0, "[NUM | `fallback']",
     "Save the current entry as the default boot entry if no argument is"
     " specified. If a number is specified, this number is saved. If"
     " `fallback' is used, next fallback entry is saved."},

Also, in grub.d/*, there are no mentions of savedefault fallback support.
savedefault fallback should work as the following: find ${chosen}
entry in ${fallback} list and pick the next item from the list.

--
With best regards,
Matwey V. Kornilov