Re: How to build and support GRUB for Beaglebone Black?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to build and support GRUB for Beaglebone Black?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:55:53 +0300

10.10.2015 17:34, coadde пишет:
Andrei Borzenkov:
Oh, I assumed that part was done, sorry.

You simply load and launch GRUB binary using standard U-Boot commands.
U-Boot must be compiled to support API as I already mentioned. GRUB may
need to be built with adjusted load address - currently this part is
hardcoded.

All of this is actually documented on linaro page you already know.

I followed the document on linaro page and i've created a patch for
U-Boot adapted to launch GRUB binary using U-Boot commands [0], it's

When you test something it is better to make all steps manually. Anyway, commands aliases in U-Boot are pretty much irrelevant and can be adjusted later, once you solve it.

based on our version [1] adapted to start up U-Boot only and that works
well.

If you pay attention and compare the patches, i added "#define
CONFIG_API", "#define CONFIG_SYS_MMC_MAX_DEVICE 1" (required to launch
GRUB) and i put the U-boot command to load address "load ${devtype}
${bootpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootdir}/${grubfile}". The remaining U-boot
commands were removed in the patch since i think are useless to launch
GRUB. Could be it the problem?

What exactly does not work in your case?

It simply don't boot (black screen) and leds don't respond.

Did you adjust GRUB_KERNEL_ARM_UBOOT_LINK_ADDR to make sure it matches U-Boot load_addr? Alternatively you need to manually load grub at GRUB_KERNEL_ARM_UBOOT_LINK_ADDR.

[0]:https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/plain/libre-testing/uboot-grub-beaglebone/0001-parabola-arm-modifications+grub-support.patch
[1]:https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/plain/libre/uboot-beaglebone-linux-libre/0001-parabola-arm-modifications.patch