Re: Reading File Name or Contents

From: Arbiel (gmx)
Subject: Re: Reading File Name or Contents
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 17:30:59 +0200

Ubuntu's /etc/grub.d directory contains a 41_custom file which reads

#!/bin/sh
cat <<EOF
if [ -f  \${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source \${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "\${config_directory}" -a -f  \$prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source \$prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
EOF

The generated code, included into grub.cfg, reads, if it exists, the
custom.cfg file.

You can hand-write this custom.cfg file to either "source" or
"configfile" your file. The path to your file can have been stored into
an environment variable (grub-editenv).

"sourcing" the file will add menu entries into the regular grub menu,
"configfiling" it will drop the regular menu and replace it by a brand
new menu, defined by the "menuentry" lines of your hand-written file.

Arbiel