[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Accessing external code or data from the 'console' kernel module: Ca

From: Luc Van Rompaey
Subject: Re: Accessing external code or data from the 'console' kernel module: Can it be done?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 19:43:39 +0200
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/31.7.0

On 26/06/15 08:08, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

В Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:23:59 +0200
Luc Van Rompaey <address@hidden> пишет:

On 24/06/15 08:37, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Luc Van Rompaey
<address@hidden> wrote:
Make console driver export pointer to a table. This will make it
possible for console driver to work without your module but provides
access to this table if needed.

Of course console driver will need to cope with NULL pointer (or
initialize table to something meaningful).

Hmmm... I think this is the one thing that I have not yet tried.
If I understand correctly, I would then have to create a an EXPORT_VAR
pointer variable in the console module, and let my 'setkey' module store the
appropriate value into it.
The function to remap an input key, according to the contents of the table,
would then be a part of the console driver.
It can also be a function pointer. So code in console driver would reduce to

if (grub_setkey_xlat)
I'm afraid I cannot get this to work, even though I'm trying to mimic
some other code that appears to use the same mechanism.
Here's what I'm doing:

In console.c (i.e., 'grub-core/term/i386/pc/console.c'), I define the
grub_setkey_xlat function pointer:

    int (*grub_setkey_xlat) (int key) = NULL;

Later on in the code, I do the "if (grub_setkey_xlat) blahblahblah"
stuff as you suggested.

These are the only changes to the 'console.c' source code, exactly as
what happens in 'grub-core/kern/device.c' with the 'grub_net_open' variable.

Then, in my 'setkey.h' header file, I declare the following:

    extern int (*EXPORT_VAR (grub_setkey_xlat)) (int key);

does conosle include setkey.h?

Yes, the 'console.c' source file includes the 'setkey.h' header file.
In any case, I took a closer look at the issue, and there is clearly quite a 
bit more going on than we are aware of here.

First, 'grub-core/Makefile' creates the list of exported kernel symbols based 
on the applicable header files.
It lists the header files in a variable, appropriately named 
The 'setkey.h' header file does not occur in the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value.
Hence, and EXPORT_VAR and EXPORT_FUNC declarations in the 'setkey.h' header 
file, will not get picked up by the build process.
Any such symbols will, therefore, be considered undefined.

To test these assumptions, I decided to manually edit the Makefile (yes, I 
know, I shouldn't do that, but it was a quick-and-dirty way to verify if I 
understood the issue correctly).
Right after the 'configure' step, and before I ran 'make', I manually appended 
the path to my 'setkey' file to the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value.
It still didn't work (although the 'setkey.h' file did get picked up when the 
list of exported kernel symbols was being constructed).
Apparently, the declaration gets ignored because of the 'extern' keyword that 
precedes it.

So, I created a separate 'console_setkey.h' header file, in which I removed the 
'extern' keyword, and I modified the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value accordingly.
This time, the build process completed without errors.
What's more, the 'setkey' command that I had implemented worked perfectly as 

Since I couldn't immediately find out how I could influence the automatic 
generation of the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value, I then decided to try and add my 
EXPORT_VAR declaration directly into the 'console.h' header file.
Even though, at first, that seemed to work (no build errors occurred), my 
'setkey' command turned out to be non-functional (i.e., it no longer affected 
the keyboard layout).
In fact, there were now two instances of the 'grub_setkey_xlat' variable 
defined within the kernel, as the following command output illustrates:

$ grep 'grub_setkey_xlat' 'grub/grub-core/syminfo.lst'
defined linux grub_setkey_xlat
defined vga grub_setkey_xlat
undefined setkey grub_setkey_xlat

I assume that the 'linux' instance was the one being used by the console, 
while, apparently, by sheer coincidence, my 'setkey' module must have imported 
the 'vga' one.


I have learned that:
(1) my 'grub_setkey_xlat' variable (which is to be exported by the console) 
will have to be defined in a header file that gets included by (and ONLY by) 
(2) the 'KERNEL_HEADER_FILES' variable in 'grub-core/Makefile' lists the header 
files from which the exported kernel symbols will be picked up;
(3) the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value is not automatically updated as header files 
are added to any of the kernel modules.

Additionally, I looks to me like the KERNEL_HEADER_FILES value is constructed 
in the 'grub-core/' file (which, if I understand correctly, is an 
automake input file).

In any case, I believe I now know enough of the details to allow me to 
implement the final working version of my 'setkey' module.

All in all, it was quite an instructive exercise to research this subject!

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]