Re: Query about command line commands

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Query about command line commands
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:12:46 +0300

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Bret Busby <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/03/2015, Bret Busby <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 11/03/2015, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> В Tue, 10 Mar 2015 23:26:41 +0800

>>> That's possible. As you can use your installed system now - do you have
>>> anything under /sys/firmware/efi/efivars or /sys/firmware/efi/vars?
>>>

>> I am replying from the Ubuntu 14.04 installation on the particular
>> computer; i have found Ubuntu 14.04 to be not user-friendly, and to
>> have considerably reduced functionality (compared to Debian 6 and
>> Ubuntu 12.04). And, Ubuntu 14.04 is difficult to use, but, it allows
>> me to use an external monitor, wheras Debian 7 does not.
>>
>> On this platform, both commands return "No such file or directory", using
>> sudo ls <path>
>> .
>>

> And, in using the Debian 7 installation, and a root terminal, I get
> the same responses.
>
> In the Debiab 7 installation, if I go up a level; in the root terminal,
> running
> ls /sys/firmware/efi/
> I get the same response.
>
> In the root terminal, I get
>
> "
> # ls /sys/firmware
> acpi  memmap
> "

Which finally confirms that all your systems are installed and booted
in legacy BIOS mode. You will need to find some way to boot any Linux
media in EFI mode before you can consider next steps. I cannot tell
how to do it - every vendor of consumer product has own
(re-)implementation of EFI firmware, or at least user interface.