RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:08:36 +0400

> > I ran the following:
> >
> > $ sudo x86_64-grub-mkrescue --modules="iso9660 fshelp loadbios
> > part_msdos part_gpt normal terminal crypto extcmd boot gettext linux
> > video relocator mmap font bufio efi_gop video_fb efi_uga gfxterm
> > bitmap_scale bitmap gfxmenu trig" -o myiso.iso iso
> >
> > The iso as-is boots, but still contains copies all of the modules in i386pc
> > and x86_64-efi.
> >
> > I don't see the logic in embedding modules if the same modules will be
> > copied to the iso anyway?
> >
> > If I delete the x86_64-efi folder from the iso, it doesn't boot and
> > complains about all of the missing modules for ever.
>
> And which modules are missing? This works for me
>
> address@hidden:~/build/grub> pkgdatadir=$PWD ./grub-mkrescue -d grub-core -o
> /tmp/foo.iso --modules="linux part_msdos minicmd ls" --install-modules=""
> /linux=/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.7-7-desktop /initrd=/boot/initrd-3.16.7-7-desktop
>
> linux /linux
> initrd /initrd
> boot
>
> minicmd is for lsmod and ls is for ls. part_msdos is not really needed.
> It still works using minimal --modules=linux

Thanks for the continued help with this.

I was using grub-2.00, which doesn't have "-d" or "--install-modules="

If I use grub-2.02~beta2, then the same command works for me, except that I'm
booting to the console prompt so in uefi boot I get a blank display after
"error: no suitable video more found. Booting in blind mode".

BTW, if I use --modules="linux" or --modules="linux part_dos iso9660", then
uefi boot fails with the error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/part_acorn.mod` not
found. Entering rescue mode.

If I use the following to get a display in uefi boot:

$ sudo grub-mkrescue --modules="iso9660 fshelp loadbios part_msdos part_gpt
normal terminal crypto extcmd boot gettext
linux video relocator mmap font bufio efi_gop video_fb efi_uga gfxterm
bitmap_scale bitmap gfxmenu trig" --install-modules="" -o myiso.iso iso

I get:
grub-mkrescue: error: cannot open `/usr/local/lib/grub/i386-pc/loadbios.mod':
No such file or directory.

..and if I use:

sudo grub-mkrescue --directory=/usr/local/lib/grub/x86_64-efi
--modules="iso9660 fshelp loadbios part_msdos part_gpt normal terminal crypto
extcmd boot gettext linux video relocator mmap font bufio efi_gop video_fb
efi_uga gfxterm bitmap_scale bitmap gfxmenu trig" --install-modules="" -o
myiso.iso iso

then the cd fails to boot in legacy-bios mode with "selected boot device
failed, press any key to boot system"

..so it appears that I'm stuck?

Note also that, the mkrescue command appears to copy files all  over the place:

$ ls /mnt/sr0/boot/grub/x86_64-efi [why is this required if the modules are
embedded?]
command.lst   crypto.lst    fs.lst        moddep.lst    modinfo.sh
partmap.lst   parttool.lst  terminal.lst  video.lst

$ ls /mnt/sr0/System/Library/CoreServices
SystemVersion.plist  boot.efi [is boot.efi duplicating efi.img?]

$ ls /mnt/sr0
System/       boot/         boot.catalog  efi.img       mach_kernel

..and copies Unicode.pf2 to the cd when it cannot be used and creates empty
directories for locale and rom.