Re: Boots to grub and references non-existent hd1

From: jeff
Subject: Re: Boots to grub and references non-existent hd1
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:51:12 -0800 (PST)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Andrei Borzenkov" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 10:08am
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden

В Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:42:49 -0800 (PST)
address@hidden пишет:

> - - - - - - - -
> Ok, here is what I get for those queries.
> grub> ls (lvm/vg_jab-lv_mintroot)/
> error: unknown filesystem.

> I am guessing the unknowns are a problem, but I don't know why they are unknown, nor what to do about them.

This means grub image does not include XFS driver so it of course
cannot load your kernels.

This image is shipped by your distribution. You need to complaint to
them. You may install using different filesystem for /boot but you
still need to know which filesystems are supported.

Alternative is to somehow disable secure boot support during
installation. Again, how and whether it will help can be answered only
by your distribution. openSUSE would in this case skip pre-built image
and use standard grub-install which should work. What your distro does
I do not know.

Ok, I assume that means that grub is not loading the XFS module, and when I do an lsmod at the grub prompt I don't see the XFS module listed.  However, when booting from the SuperGrub2CD menu list (which I assume must be loading the XFS module) and looking in the /boot/grub/x86_64-efi directory I do see the xfs.mod file present.  And when I go through the Mint installer, it provides the option to use the XFS filesystem.  So, from that I would conclude that the Mint distribution supports it; but maybe their grub-install is broken with respect to importing the XFS module?  (that is an actual question, since I don't want to speculate beyond my knowledge.  I am just trying to figure out how to clarify or specify a request that I can put to the Mint distribution).

Looking at lsmod again I see that the ext2 module is loaded, so maybe I will try another re-install setting my boot partition to EXT2, although I would much prefer to have it on a journaled filesystem, but I don't see an ext3 or ext4 module listed in the /boot/grub/x86_64-efi directory.  Are they named something different that might not be obvious?  Thanks.

Jeff